Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A Big Adjustment


Aside from discovering that I am lactose intolerant, I have also discovered I have an intolerance for products with gluten in them (wheat, barley, rye). My symptoms where becoming more aggressive, so I've just started cutting bread-products out. What's funny is that one of my friends mentioned that we often crave what we're allergic to - and I can definitely say that I almost always craved pasta and bread. But who knows the validity of that?
Hudson has been such a champ putting up with my lamenting the past few weeks - cake balls, french bread, chocolate chip cookies, muffins, pastries - no more for me. He's started trying gluten free products with me...and I even managed to find some good (but expensive) all-purpose flour that has no gluten. I celebrated by making my first gluten-free oatmeal raisin cookies. They tasted normal too! I've heard that some people cut out gluten just because it's supposedly healthier - but I don't know why they'd go to all the hassle. It's not easy changing your diet in such a dramatic way. But at least I can eat rice.
Saturday evening Hudson took me out to a delicious restaurant called Ruggles Green. When possible, they use organic products, and we came to discover that almost all of their meals where gluten-free! We enjoyed a delicious chicken pizza. The waiters were very conversational, and our meal together only cost about $16 - and that included drinks! If you're in Houston, make the trip, it's worth it.

2 comments:

  1. i think i'm lactose intolerant too. wahoo. join the club. i'm learning to make gluten free breads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea, buying premade gluten free bread is very expensive. Let me know what recipe works for you!

    ReplyDelete