Thursday, October 28, 2010

You Are A Soul

Creation of Light, John Martin

"You don't have a soul, You are a soul, you have a body." - C.S. Lewis. This was a quote posted on my boyfriend's status recently. I really like it. Really, our bodies just give us something to look at while we're interacting. True relationships are built soul to soul. I sometimes wonder why God even created bodies for us, he could've just breathed a bunch of spirits to walk upon the earth. And this may sound weird, but recently I have been picturing people without bodies when I talk to them. Yes, that is what my reflection of this quote has come to. But, it helps me see everyone differently and keeps me focused the inner soul and not what I'm looking at. I picture a really abstract wisps of light and color - actually more like contour lines that are flaming, ah! which I won't go into (cause I only think Haley would be interested in my visual interpretations) - but it reminds me that I have come in contact with something other than just another one of those bodies walking over this earth that isn't me. I'm talking with something that isn't confined to form or mass, but fully spiritual that is going to keep burning past its body's death. Think what you may about my methods, but I just thank God I can imagine things that cannot be seen with my eyes.

And really, I think God created us with minds that can imagine supernatural images, because they do exist. God has just created things that we can't see, but our souls often feel them, and sometimes our minds can see them. I mean, if I was created in the image of God, I was also made to think in ways that are beyond the materials of this world. As an artist, I know that God has given me more than paint and charcoal to create, cause he used more than just the physical when he created us. Just like I have paints and those paints are various colors that I mix to make an art piece, God uses some un-named medium with its various categories (colors) that he mixes to make a personality, a character, a passion. I can't wait to learn the names of things that I can't see, or that I have no knowledge of. Really...God is working with mediums that we can't even name! Love it.

Hope I didn't lose you at the end there...I wish there was someone on the carpet next to me who could just bask in this mystery with me right now. Those are my favorite kind of conversations.

No comments:

Post a Comment