Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A New Houstonian

FIRSTS:
I had my first Kolachi, my first Whataburger, and my first Shrimp Poboy. I also had my first Bubble Tea, which isn't necessarily a Houston thing, but it happened here.
PHRASES LEARNED:
"Get'er done."
"Red on yellow, kill a fellow. Red on black, venom lack."
EXPERIENCES:
Houston has beautiful skies. You can see them best when you're driving on the elevated highways. Then it is just road and sky in your vision. I have a liking for large open spaces, they always calm me and give rest to my eyes and soul.

It's fun to see palm trees again. Houston reminds me a bit of California with the huge highways, large Mexican communities, and neighborhoods with one-story houses. I'm slowly becoming a more confident driver amongst these aggressive locals, and I'm sure I'll eventually understand the rhythm (or lack of rhythm) of Houston driving.

I work off of Nasa Parkway right by the Space Center. All the streets around here have space-like names: Nasa Road 1, Space Park Dr., Saturn Lane. Hopefully Hudson and I can take a trip to the Space Center soon. I hear it's pretty fantastic. A couple of people from my church work the Nasa shuttles, and I've heard we have a few astronauts in our congregation, but I have yet to meet one.

I've also never seen so many state flags flying before. Texas is mighty proud. I don't even know what the NC state flag looks like, but I can certainly spot Texas now.

Houston has been fun!

4 comments:

  1. Oh Robin! This post was fantastic! I'm glad you are liking my lovely city. I have to say though, we are known for our kind driving, so it is only a matter of time til you get the rythm down.
    Ok, but I'm going to help you out a bit..
    -Kolache is spelled with an e (its ok.. some czech thing)
    -Git 'R done or Get 'R done (depends on how hick you are!)

    haha.
    Also I've heard the saying Red and yellow kill a fellow, red and black friend of Jack. but either way-- beware of coral snakes for sure. Idk if you'll have them as much in the city as I have them in Richmond.
    LOVE the pictures! Take many for me :)
    And gotta love the lonestar state and its mighty flag :) haha
    Miss you and houston SO much! Glad you are enjoying it! Eat a couple Kolaches for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed so hard when I read your last paragraph. We surely do love our flag. It's probably because a 3 year old could draw it. The space center should be quite fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha...yea I wasnt sure how to spell kolache....I looked it up on google but it had it spelled both ways and nothing looked like what I ate. Ha.

    hooray nasa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know the six different flags to have flown over texas?

    I always heard red on back,you're okay jack. Red on yellow, you're a dead fellow. And Whataburger was my favorite--probably still is--burger fast food growing up in FL! there are none in Co. Womp.

    ReplyDelete