Monday, February 8, 2010

Sambuca



Hudson and I went on a date at Sambuca in Houston, which is fancy restaurant with live music! They were featuring a band called Fried Ice-cream with a splendid vocalist. This was quiet an experience. Picture a round booth, just for two, encompassed with red-velvet lined walls that reach the ceiling. There was soft lighting from our personal chandelier, a single flickering candle on a small, wooden round table. Beautiful and very romantic.

Hudson tried the Blackened Red Snapper Etouffee with shrimp and crab over a bed of spinach and dirty rice. I tried the Crab-Stuffed Salmon with lobster veloute, served over asparagus. It was ridiculously delicious.
This might throw you for a loop though - for an appetizer, we ordered the Escargot En Croute. Yup, escargot. I was happily chowing through the dish until I realized that in my mind, I had confused escargot (snails) with caviar (fish eggs), which explained why I didn't taste any fishiness. But, I will admit I had no problem eating three snails before I was aware of this fact. It was prepared with lemon and garlic butter, wrapped in spinach and smoked gouda, and finally topped with these yummy puff pastries. While I was trying to figure out why what i thought were fish eggs looked oddly like a mushroom, it finally all clicked that I was eating snail. After poking my food so much, I don't think I could mentally conquer a second helping. So I guess I liked it cause I managed it each
three...though I wouldn't be able to eat it again.

It was certainly a night I will never forget.


1 comment:

  1. Well, in our culture, things are justified so long as they are fun(ny). I believe what they are saying is that if the criterion for our decisions is whether or not it is going to be fun, we are still children. Does that make sense? Not that fun is bad, but it is often the lone measuring stick for what we do and don't do.

    ReplyDelete